Are you a CPA looking for a little more meaning in your work? CAWST is looking for an accountant who will support our organization to continue effecting change around the world. Joining CAWST means joining a passionate team of over 40 engineers, educators, and other professionals who work collaboratively towards building a world where people have the opportunity to succeed because their basic water and sanitation needs have been met.
The Position: Accountant
Reports to: Finance Manager
Type: Full time, permanent
Location: The position is based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Position start date: As soon as possible
Application due date: Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis until the position is filled
Compensation: Salary will be discussed in the personal interview so please include salary expectations in your cover letter
The Accountant assists with book keeping, payroll, accounts payable and receivable, to ensure financial statements and reports are prepared in a timely manner in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Standards for Not-for-Profit Organizations in Canada.
This role reports to the Finance Manager and works closely with Project Managers to maintain the smooth operations of the organization’s finances.
- Manages all accounting and bookkeeping functions for CAWST
- Manages petty cash reimbursements, special cheque requests
- Manages general ledger, expense codes, department codes, and corresponding project codes which are the foundation of CAWST’s financial management system
- Records all journal entries and manages posting to the general ledger within CAWST’s accounting system, Microsoft NAV
- Ensures proper coding for all invoices, expenses, and requisitions
- Processes monthly reconciliation across accounts as directed by the Finance Manager
- Processes all bank deposits, wire transfers, and other day-to-day banking activities
- Processes payment of all expense claims and invoices
- Processes bi-weekly payroll, including deductions for the benefits and group savings plan, for review and approval by HR and the Finance Manager
- Processes all tax receipts for review and approval by the Finance Manager
- Creates invoices for all services, as required by Project Managers
- Processes all monthly uploads into CAWST’s accounting system, Microsoft NAV (e.g. credit card statements, timesheets, personal expenses, requisitions, etc.)
- Supports the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for accurate accounting of consolidated operational results
- Prepares ad-hoc reports for Project Managers and the Leadership Team, maintains fixed asset schedule, assists in balance sheet reconciliations, and monitors spending against budget
- Assists the Finance Manager with preparation of required schedules and supporting documentation for annual audit and charitable return (T3010)
- Prepares financial reports for large funders, ensuring all expenditures for grants and programs are aligned with agreements and reporting is completed on time
- Calculates and issues financial and operating metrics
- Calculates variances from the budget
- Conducts accounting or tax research as necessary
- Ensures CAWST meets CRA requirements to maintain charitable status
- Supports with the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit
- Complies with reporting requirements and filings for not-for-profit organizations in Canada
- Ensures accounting function is in compliance with all CAWST policies and procedures (e.g. cash flows and GICs)
- Supports the Finance Manager to ensure accurate and timely submission of GST returns
- Ensures all deductions and payroll activities are compliant with legislation
- Other ad-hoc duties as required
Any other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Finance Manager.
The ideal candidate is a proactive problem solver with a keen eye for detail. You are comfortable with uncertainty, and are able to apply your practical experience to new challenges. This important role requires a person who is service and solutions oriented, and enjoys working with a team.
- 3-5 years of accounting experience
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business required
- CPA certification required
- Experience and ability to modify accounting systems to match non-profit needs
- Experience with Microsoft NAV, Excel, Visual Basic, SAP Concur, and other software systems
- Knowledge of Canadian GAAP and not-for-profit accounting standards in Canada
- Experience in charitable and non-profit organizations an asset
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to take initiative
- Ability to train and support others
- Ability to problem solve
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to meet deadlines
Please apply by sending your cover letter and resume to CAWSTHR@cawst.org. Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis until the position is filled.
Please note: Only resumes from candidates eligible to work in Canada will be reviewed, and only those applicants granted an interview will be contacted.
CAWST is a Canadian charity that focuses on the principle that clean water changes lives. Safe water, sanitation, and hygiene are fundamental to health and breaking the cycle of poverty. We address the global need for safe drinking water and sanitation by teaching people the skills that they need to have safe water in their homes. To do so, we transfer knowledge and skills to organizations and individuals in low- and middle-income countries through education, training, and consulting resources and services. In turn, our clients catalyze households into taking action to meet their water and sanitation needs. Since 2001, CAWST’s network of clients has expanded to over 5,000 organizations worldwide, and our global community of 17,000 clients, donors, members, volunteers and collaborators across 190+ countries is taking action. Collectively we are making a difference at a scale beyond what any of us could do individually. Together, we are helping millions of people get better water or sanitation.
Our vision is a world where people have the opportunity to succeed because their basic water and sanitation needs have been met.
Our mission is to provide technical training and consulting, and to act as a centre of expertise in water and sanitation for the poor in developing countries.
CAWST values equitable opportunities, sustainable solutions, and collaborative and inclusive processes. We recognize and accept differences in cultural, religious, and political processes.