The Position: Digital Communications Specialist
Reports to: Public Relations Lead
Type: Full time, permanent
Location: The position is based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Position start date: As soon as possible
Application due date: Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis until the position is filled
Compensation: Salary will be discussed in the personal interview so please include salary expectations in your cover letter
The Digital Communications Specialist will work closely with the public relations lead, donor initiatives team, and leadership team to manage the organization’s social media channels, website content, and paid advertising platforms. Each member of the communications team contributes to the development of compelling and thoughtful materials that report on our work around the world.
The successful candidate will bring their passions and energy to developing interesting, engaging, and timely content in a collaborative setting. This is a role that would be suitable for someone who is interested in digital trends, paid media, and content development, who is also able to set and execute on strategies for optimizing and growing our online reach, relevance, and engagement.
- Help create and support the communications marketing strategy with content marketing, social media, online advertising, and digital storytelling
- Maintain an accurate and current content calendar for all digital channels
- Develop engaging content that is accurate, timely, and relevant to our online audiences
- Work with the public relations lead to make recommendations based on current trends
- Social media community management, responding to questions, comments, and concerns across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other channels, as needed
- Support with the development of paid media materials
- Analyse the performance of our digital strategies, providing quarterly reports, insights on trends, and recommendations
- Be willing to jump in to support the wider communications and donor initiatives team will other ad hoc duties, as required
- Experience working in the non-profit sector will be an asset
Any other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Public Relations Lead.
The ideal candidate is a proactive self-starter who has excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail. They must have experience and passion for digital media, including social media platforms, content development, and digital media trends. With a small but mighty communications team, the successful candidate should be willing to jump into other ad hoc duties, when needed. They must have strong writing, research, and editing skills.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field (e.g., marketing, communications, or public relations)
- Must have at least 3-5 years of related experience in digital marketing and/or corporate communications/public relations
- Solid understanding of social media, the digital landscape, and community management of social media channels
- Strong online research, writing, and editing skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications, social media channels, and other project management software platforms
- Demonstrate a commitment and passion for CAWST’s vision and mission
- Constantly learning and exploring the digital space, always striving towards adding value
- Experience working in related fields including international development, CSR-focused communications and non-profit management an asset
- Experience with paid media, both digital and traditional, will be an asset
- Self-starter with the confidence to work independently and meet deadlines
- Understanding of various activities within communications (media relations, paid media, storytelling, email marketing, etc.), and willing to provide support, when needed
- Ability to take initiative
- Ability to write and edit
- Ability to research
- Ability to train and support others
- Ability to problem solve
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to develop and execute on digital strategy
- Ability to navigate and understand paid media
Please apply by completing this form and attaching your cover letter and resume.
Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis until the position is filled.
Please note: Only resumes from candidates eligible to work in Canada will be reviewed; and only those applicants granted an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
CAWST is a Canadian charity and registered engineering consultancy. We teach people how to get safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene in their homes, schools and clinics, using simple, affordable technologies. To do so, we transfer knowledge and skills to organizations and individuals in low- and middle-income countries through education, training, and consulting resources and services. In turn, our clients catalyze households into taking action to meet their water and sanitation needs. Since 2001, CAWST’s network of clients has expanded to over 5,000 organizations worldwide across 190+ countries. Collectively we are making a difference at a scale beyond what any of us could do individually. Together, we are helping millions of people get better water or sanitation.
Our vision is a world where people have the opportunity to succeed because their basic water and sanitation needs have been met.
Our mission is to provide technical training and consulting, and to act as a centre of expertise in water and sanitation for the poor in developing countries.
CAWST values equitable opportunities, sustainable solutions, and collaborative and inclusive processes. We recognize and accept differences in cultural and religious beliefs.